28.1.15

(Seasonal) Dreams Do Come True*

28.1.15 Posted by Nikki Carlson , , , No comments
Yesterday was a pretty great day.  I landed my dream job.

Well, technically, I "landed" it by accident a few weeks ago.  And as Jeff Goins states in one of his posts, it's probably more accurately a "seasonal commitment" towards my dream job.  But regardless of the technicalities, I'm stoked.
For the past few months, I have been utilizing HelpX (a work/travel site) to connect with hosts from around the world in attempt to learn new skills and explore new cultures while I travel.  It hasn't been an obsessive commitment, but it's been consistently on my radar.  Finally, my half-assed emailing and less-than-ideal timing collided in southern Portugal because of a last minute change.

So, you ask, what is this "Dream Job"?

I'm working at a hostel.  (Check out the website here.)  Think hotel-esque reception tasks: tours for new guests, cleaning dorm rooms, being in charge of the intense task of picking the hostel music, inviting people to our family style dinners, helping confused and giggling guests find their room after self-directed pub crawls, setting up breakfast, and the like.  In general, I'm supposed to talk with guests and make sure everyone's happy.  Talk to other travelers and be happy?  Twist my arm.
For years, I have toyed with the idea of running a hostel or bed and breakfast at some point "down the road".  After a brief run in with restaurant management, I knew that the road towards that end point would be arduous and filled with moments of doubt, if in fact it remained my own personal goal.  I needed to start small and build from there, enjoying the process and taking it easy.  Well, 'Day 1' has finally come.

Over these past few months, I have been on an interesting journey of self discovery.  In between border-crossings and cultural exchanges, I have shaken up and dusted off old dreams.  Taking my time and giving these abstract thoughts consideration and form, then re-forming them, and then finally sleeping on them for a few more months has been just what I needed.  As the saying goes, patience (or as some less optimistic onlookers may say laziness and distractedness) is a virtue.  The fit here is great.
Like many, the past few years have held a multitude of chapters for me.  There have been moments of personal accomplishment, gut-wrenching heartbreak, extreme happiness, and moments of clarity and confusion in spades.  

Last night after completing my first day on the job, I walked down to the pier to an incredible sunset while soaking up my new "hood" (before getting impressively lost on my way home, especially considering the size of Faro).  While I was soaking it in, I reflected on some of these moments.  I found myself laughing out loud.  It wasn't some sort of a crazy witch cackle, and, no, thanks for asking, I had not been drinking on the job.
Old Instagram Picture
I laughed because my thoughts drifted ever so momentarily to a few key voices that had attempted in vain to keep me from getting to this point.  There weren't many of them, but there were a few.  I just smiled as I thought about how lucky I am that I have always had a bit of trouble hearing, thanks to incessant ear issues as a child.  

I am far from deaf, but I guess for all of the ear tube surgeries, infections, ear drops and lookin' like a fool in the pool with my ear plugs and swim cap throughout my childhood, I gained an incredible gift.  Deafness to the haters.  I didn't dwell on these thoughts for too long, but I just laughed to think that I might not have followed my heart to get to this place, both physical and emotional, and pursue my dream, however seasonal, in traveling and hostel employment.  I'm glad that I chose to, in the wise words of Ms. Taylor Swift, "Shake It Off" when those voices came along.  

The result: Portuguese hostel bliss.
Part of our common area at Casa D'Alagoa
So to everyone who has been asked or who is asking what exactly I'm doing with my life - I have no clue. (Does anyone? Because if you said yes, you're deranged or lying.  Probably both.)  You wake up and take one day at a time.  Today and tomorrow the plan is to chill at the front desk of Casa d'Alagoa and chat with likeminded humans and see what surprises the day holds for me.  Most likely, that includes an evening sunset by the pier, followed by some great conversations and new friendships.

Spoiler Alert for my "immediate future": after my three days of work, I get two days off.  Since I'll probably be exhausted from my off the charts happiness at watching one of my dreams begin to take form, I've planned a well deserved escape for R&R to Lisbon.  Life is tough sometimes, people...

*This post is brag-adocious, I already know that.  My life is amazing, so #sorrynotsorry.  If it makes you feel any better, I hope that yours is, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment